Windows 2003 and SP1 gripes
After rebuilding my work desktop, I was happily installing my missing software.
First trouble came with AcdSee 7. It installed fine, but if I open a file which uses its standard plugin, like a jpeg or gif, it would give an internal error. I tried updating it, uninstall, reinstall, clean registry, etc. No luck. It turns out the Windows Execution Protection (which comes with SP1, I believe) was causing trouble. I added it to the exclude list (from Control Panel / System / Advanced / WEP tab) and voila all is fine now.
Similarly Skype would install fine but wouldn’t run. I added to the exception list and it is fine too.
Weirdly, if you have installed them prior to SP1, all is